Monday, May 17, 2010

A day in the Life - January 12, 2010

So, as many of you know I left Newark , NJ on Monday around 5:45 pm to fly back to Europe. I had booked a flight through Geneva, Switzerland because it was cheaper and closer to my house in France. When I picked up my visa AFTER making the trip plans they told me to make sure I got an entrance stamp upon my return to France. Of course, when they said this I worried because since the Schengen agreement (which releases almost all border control between the countries in the European Union) I knew there were less border officers to come by. The plan was to fly into Geneva and hop a train to Lyon. There is a border control checkpoint in the train station down it's own little seperate hallway because Geneva is a major port of entrance into France. In all my time coming back and forth, borders were a huge deal. Mostly, trying to avoid them was what I was doing. Well of course this time, when I wanted and needed a border stamp, there was no one to be found at the border in the train station. Everything up to this point went fine. Of course, the very last thing on a list of about a hundred things I did in the last three weeks, did not work out. I did not make the first train even though I was on time, because I was busy searching for an immigration officer. I knew I didn't want to just leave and enter France without this stamp so I decided to have a croissant, two huge coffees and several cigs. Besides , Stephane was lecturing until after ten anyway. Turns out my computer was low on batteries so I could only try to call him until my battery went dead. I just wanted to try to figure it out before I left. I was freezing and exhausted and couldn't get a hold of him. I decided to just take the next train into Lyon and say the hell with it. I have an entrance stamp into Geneva and I also have the validated train ticket from Geneva to Lyon. Stephane is going to call this afternoon to the immigration office to find out if this is good enough. I mean clearly, I entered France, I just don't have a stamp to prove it. If they say I need a stamp, Steph and I will drive to Geneva tomorrow, cross the border in our car, turn around and demand an entrance stamp. Ugh! Finally boarding the train I erupted into tears. I'll chalk it up to stress, PMS, utter exhaustion from jetlag and potential frostbite on my toes. I was a sniveling mess. The Frenchies were all staring at me. Whatever, I had had enough. Finally I regained my composure and the feeling in my toes and enjoyed the beautiful landscape of snowy Alps Switzerland. Of course I had left Stephane a message at home to pick me up when the train arrived. Luckily he had stopped home after lecture to check messages and was there to meet me. I broke into tears again because all the stress of everything came bubbling up to the surface. So he lugged all my crap to the car while I blubbered and complained and he drove me home. He had food and presents waiting for me. I'm so happy to be home. It was also bittersweet because seeing my friends when I was home and having to say goodbye for real this time was really difficult. I mean this visa gives me the right to be here now. My next planned trip is not until August. Six whole interrupted months in France. Even then the trip is likely to be short as Stephane will likely be with me and we will stay for a couple of weeks, if that. So, I sit, still exhausted, sad for leaving and happy to be back. Smoking cigs while wrapped up in a warm blanket with my kitty by my side and writing this to all of you. Stephane had to go back to work for the afternoon. I told him it was likely I'd be sleeping when he returned. So that's all for now. I'll let everyone know what happens with the stamp and the immigration office.

*snore*

No comments:

Post a Comment